Want To Make Wine With Me?
I never thought I’d be mashing half rotten berries into a jar and making something called “Hooch”, but here I am…
Let’s just call it “Wine” and it hits differently.
So, I found myself buried in a couple hundred pounds of blueberries this year, and after processing several batches I got burned out. There’s only so many pies we can bake and bags one can freeze before looking at one more berry becomes a form of torture. Especially when you have more waiting to be picked out in a 110 degree heat wave.
So here I am with 24 pounds of berries and I want something “easy” to do with them. Well, I found a recipe!
Don’t worry… This is SO EASY, and I’m here for ya if you want to lean on me while you pull it together.
Here’s All You Need:
- Three pounds of Berries
- Three half-gallon sized Mason Jars
- Three Fermentation Lids (I found some really affordable ones here
- 1 Gallon Filtered Water
- Yeast (I used THIS fancy yeast especially designed to ferment a good Wine)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Large Spoon
- A very large Pot
Okay, so here’s how it all goes down… Gather your supplies.
- Start your water on boil
- Add sugar & stir until dissolved
- Mash Blueberries
- Add to water & remove once it begins to boil
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to 100 degrees
- Transfer to jars
- Distribute 1 packet of yeast between the three (or 1/2 tsp per half-gallon of regular yeast)
- Add Fermentation Lids
- Store in a cool, dark place for 1 week
So, if you don’t have fermentation lids, you can use a regular lid and burp it daily. This is a real pain, so you might want to rethink that!
It’s pretty forgiving – you can substitute various elements to fit what you have on hand. Double the recipe if you’d like – I did & I’ll be serving up the hooch at our next shin-dig – haha!!
Now, are YOU going to be making Berry Wine? If you do, let me know! I haven’t quite made it to my 1 week mark, but I’ll definitely update ya on my Instagram Account soon.