Now that we’ve added goats to our little Farm Sanctuary, I needed to create a Homemade Fly Repellent Recipe, pronto! We’re seeing more pests, hence the need for a safe & effective deterrent. I refuse to use toxic chemicals around our plants and livestock, so I scoured the internet in search of a safer, alternative to bug spray.
I alter everyday household products in order to make them organic and non-toxic, so here’s my version…
First of all, find a good MISTING Spray Bottle that can hold at least a cup so that you only have to make it occasionally. THIS is a good one that mists well which I found on Amazon. I also use one for a Homemade Room Freshener recipe I’ll share later.
You’ll also want a small colander to pour in your liquids without creating a mess.
- Fill your container up half-way with White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Soap (We use Doctor Bronner’s Peppermint Soap)
- 10 drops each of Eucalyptus & Peppermint Essential Oil (you can substitute with your choice of EO’s but I found this combination to be pungent enough to keep the bugs away)
- If you have it, add fresh Mint Leaves or Lemon Balm Leaves
- Fill the rest of the bottle with Filtered Water
Shake well before using. I spray about 6 pumps on Hind quarters and around Ears. I also spray down Chicken Nesting Boxes and all Sleeping Areas before bed.
What I’ve found is that it keeps the flies, mosquitoes and gnats away for a couple of hours. It’s all natural, smells good, affordable and can be used on animals and people. The type of soap we use is a trusted brand that can be safely used for body wash, hair, hands, dishes, etc. Safe around animals & people, also a good alternative to heavily scented soaps.
Watch our Instagram Stories today (will be saved to highlights) to see this in use around the Homestead!